This page is sponsored by
Quirk’s quizzes are devised as a fun way to test your memory and knowledge ~ about England and its fabulous wildlife ~ not only for beginners ~ enthusiasts are welcome too
Quizmaster Quirk, ‘knowledge & memory’ and Quirk’s Quizzes
Each quiz will focus on England’s fabulous native wildlife as well as the history, natural geography and long-established traditions of England
We are developing 2 quizzes for beginners and a pleasantly patriotic quiz for all
Quirk’s Quizzes will include quizzes about ~ characters in England’s history; England’s cities and counties (including county towns); England’s ‘fantastic folklore journey’ through the ages; and the natural geography of England
Wild England teasers!
1. Who was England’s first king? When and where was the battle of Brunanburh?
2. Name England’s most numerous native resident bird? Can you provide 2 further commonly used names for this creature
3. How many mediaeval kingdoms of the dark ages made up the Anglo-Saxon heptarchy? Can you name them all?
4. Which native English creature is associated with the Viking history of England’s north-east region, and the folklore surrounding the Tower of London?
1. King Athelstan (reign 927-939). The Battle of Brunanburh was in 937 & may have been fought in the area of the present day city of Lancaster
2. The Wren (also called many other local names including ~ Jenny Wren, Jilliver Wren, Kitty Wren, Tidly Wren and Tomtit)
3. 7 Mediaeval kingdoms made up the Anglo-Saxon heptarchy ~ Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia, Essex, Wessex, Sussex & Kent [ Northumbria was created when the mediaeval kingdoms of Deira & Bernie unified in 654 ]
4. The Raven